The Whitneys were among the early settlers in Cascade Township. The families of Zerah Whitney (1784-1873), a Connecticut native, and his sons Ezra (1815-99) and Peter arrived in the 1841-42 period and took up land at the site of what soon became known as Whitneyville. The hamlet acquired the township's first post office in 1849 and eventually contained a sawmill, grist mill, store, blacksmith shop, church, and a few scattered houses.[source]
Whitneyville was the final stop of a stagecoach line connecting Battle Creek and Grand Rapids till around 1870, and this 1840 house served as a stagecoach stop for a period of time. Its significance declined after the building of a railroad to Grand Rapids in 1888. [source]
Judging by the trim work of the house, it was a fairly upscale house in the 1800s. Over the course of the next 170 years, numerous remodeling and additions were added to this house. By 2009, the house was in a destitute condition and was bought by the Ko family (blog authors) through a foreclosure.
|Street View - Entry to the Old Post Office on the Left|
|This Living Room is Probably the Original Whitneyville Post Office - Entry to the Side Enabled Better Room Utilization|
|The Second Floor East Bedroom|
|The Ancient Oak Tree|